Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems — detoxification is about resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health
Detoxification is a means for cleansing the body and the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. However, when these systems are compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and the body is adversely affected.
HELP YOUR BODY DETOXIFY
- Consume detoxifying foods: beet, radish, cabbage, broccoli, and seaweed; eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Cleanse and protect your liver by drinking warm lemon water; add cayenne pepper and ginger for extra zing and benefits!
- Vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, is a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink lots of water daily!
- Breathe deeply, extending your breath, to allow more oxygen to circulate throughout your system.
- Practice hydrotherapy: take a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna or a hot yoga class helping your body eliminate waste through perspiration and release negative thought patterns.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural product stores.
- Spend time daily in seated meditation or a meditative activity to encourage the mind to release stress.
CHECK IN WITH YOURSELF WHILE YOU DETOXIFY
- How do I feel mentally? List any internal or physical feelings.
- How do I feel emotionally? List any internal or physical feelings.
- How do I feel physically? List any internal or physical feelings.
- What is my outlook on life today? How is it different from yesterday?
- What was my first feeling when I woke this morning? First thoughts?
- What is my goal for this cleanse?